The Washington University Office of Technology Management (OTM) assists WU faculty in the transfer of technology from the lab to the global marketplace.  Located in the Cortex district of St. Louis, OTM manages a wide variety of intellectual properties arising from research programs throughout Washington University.  OTM acts as a resource for faculty in the areas of patent prosecution, material transfer agreements, marketing, and licensing.

>>Download OTM’s 2017-2018 Annual Report. (.pdf)

The areas we address range from patents, copyrights, know-how, and proprietary materials to assisting faculty with consulting agreements.

OTM’s current portfolio contains active and pending patents in areas of technology ranging from gene therapies to magnetics. The research projects being conducted by Washington University in St. Louis faculty, students, and staff lead to an increasing number of new inventions each year. With federal agency support surpassing 400 million dollars and a history of attracting the finest scientific minds, we are confident that the pace of invention will continue to accelerate. We hope that our work will benefit society and meet the needs of the private sector as well.

OTM’s mission is to extend the value of Washington University research to the community. The objective is to license the university’s intellectual property to private entities so the science uncovered in our laboratories may benefit society through direct impact on health and quality of life.

We strive to provide a technology management program that stimulates industrial research funding and promotes the commercialization of intellectual property assets through licensing and new venture creation.

During that process, we plan to:

  • serve the interests of Washington University and its faculty;
  • pass research innovations into the marketplace for the public good; and
  • generate growing sources of funds to support Washington University, its faculty, and the research enterprise.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email